Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Pu'er tea.

I know I did a basic info post about pu'er tea on the beginning of my blog, most of the info I learned from a shaving forum and Wikipedia. I bought loose leaf pu'er from A Southern Season and enjoyed it. Looking back, it was probably a type of shupu, which is a pu'er that's artificially aged by storing tea in dampness and heat. Compared to others' experiences, my first one with this tea was good: I liked it. It was woody, earthy, not bitter at all, and overall complex. My best description would be if you were to go into a forest in the fall and attempt to taste the scents that fallen leaves give off. So, after hearing a lot of good things about shengpu or raw pu'er, I decided to buy some from puerhshop.com. I've never had a shengpu before, which is green tea from the old tea trees that has not undergone fermentation processes, so I didn't spend a whole lot of money on the tea. Overall, I bought a 2006 bing (cake) of Jingmai Spring, a brick of 2006 Menghai Yue Chen Yue Xiang, and a brick of 2007 Xiaguan Tibetan Flame Brick. The first two are raw, and the Xiaguan is shupu. And the great thing about buying this type of tea? You can get decent tea for roughly 30 cents per 5 grams. And since you can steep it multiple times, you can have about 5 cups of good tea for about 6 cents per cup. But because I bought everything on sale, I'm getting about .05 cents per cup.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.