Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Truth about Duttas

Well, the truth has come out. My grandfather fondly calls dogs "duttas" as I've mentioned in my post about the words my family has created. But tonight he reminisced to my sister about where exactly it came from. Growing up, my family has never questioned dutta. It just was. Questioning dutta was like questioning how a hammer became called a hammer. It was ultimately pointless. But my grandfather revealed all. He had a little dutta growing up that he called "Daniel Doodle," which is exactly the kind of name I would expect my grandfather as a child to give a dog, possibly along with Plumbob Dipsy. Eventually he just shortened the name to "dutta," and became so fond of the dog that he began to call all duttas duttas as a tribute to his Dutta. And know you know the rest of the story.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.