Friday, January 9, 2009

My week thus far

This week's been busy and I've had a lot going on.  The beginning of the week kicked off by me not hearing any news from the doctor who's supposed to decide if I'm fit for the Navy or not.  My second violin lesson commenced on Monday afternoon, sprinkled throughout with such nuggets as

my teacher: "Do you know who wrote 'Twinkle, twinkle, little star?'" 
Me: "Uhhhh...Mr. Suzuki?" 
My teacher: "No. It was Mozart when he was 6 years old." 
My teacher: "And do you know what breed of dog this is?"
Me: "Uhhhh...a mix of chihuahua and terrier!"
My teacher: "Actually it's a rat terrier. Do you know how they got the name of rat terriers?"
Me: "(Finally an answer I was sure of) Yes, they got it because they were originally used for blood sport. Bets were placed on how many rats the terriers could kill in a given time."
My teacher: "Well, they search for rats and tear up yards for shrews and moles."
Me: "[Frowning] Hmmm"

The next few days culminated with me still hearing nothing from the Navy, and I was given the task of removing feed buckets and hay stalls from my grandparents' stables.  Whoever put them in did so with the purpose that they would never be removed.  I ended up using a prybar and a ridiculously long jimmybar to tear the boards off the wall...and even then the feedbuckets were still attached to the boards. I'm leaving the task of removing the wood to the next recipient of these items.  Sometime tomorrow I'll have to use a wire brush to get rid of the 1/4 inch thick iron oxide on the hay stalls.

Thursday I went to see Lara and the black-and-tan coonhound puppy that found her.  Lara gave me my birthday present which was the complete collection of Jeeves and Wooster (Fry&Laurie version), and the rest of the evening was spent with the dog, trying to make it urinate outside.  I imagine things will be pretty loud once the puppy figures out how LOUD and long her breed can howl.  Personally, I'm still trying to track down the elusive Carolina dog.

My grandmother's bike is almost finished.  I've got another coat of clear acrylic lacquer to spray on it, but after that I'll buff it out, clean up the wheels, get a chain fitted, and reassemble the bike. It's been long enough, and I had to scrap the plan of painting a skull with a snake coming out of its mouth on the chainguard and the Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood album cover on the front fender.  Something about generational differences.
Post a Comment
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.