Sunday, August 23, 2009

Done Sir, Done

I finished up with SWOS on Friday and made the 17 hour drive back home. 17 hours because I was stuck for 5 in a 12 mile stretch through New York. SWOS is the building blocks for becoming a surface warfare officer and you learn shiphandling skills and division officer fundamentals along damage control. Plus, there's a cool ship simulator that you get to drive to familiarize yourself with standard commands and see how your class of ship handles.

It was great seeing the people from my class, though I would've liked to have been able to have had the chance to get to know certain people better.

Some of the highlights (and lowlights) during my time there:
  1. One of the guys in my class asking our instructor, "Sir, I was watching Scooby Doo the other day and there was a ghost ship on there. What precedence does that fall under in the Rules of the Road?"
  2. The benchpress competition between two ensigns with their CDI refereeing the whole thing.
  3. Being able to get out on a boat and see the areas out on the water around the Newport area.
  4. Going to a club with one of my classmates and getting to see a band.
  5. Getting tricked into walking around downtown with UDT shorts on.
  6. Getting a high and tight which resulted in me having a conversation at the club with a Marine Corps Lt. Col. that ended up with me getting free drinks: "Semper Fi!" "I'm actually in the Navy!" "Yeah?! I'm in Logistics too! You're drinking with me!"
  7. Waking up at 4 in the morning because someone in the room beside me was rearranging furniture.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.